Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Christmas in the Summer

The following reflection is kind of a story that’s been told a lot- “The true meaning of Christmas”. I don’t mean to write this with the impression that it’s the first time this is occurring to me or that what I’m about to say is this whole new idea that no one has ever thought of. It’s just that experiencing this holiday season in a new setting and a different culture has allowed me to better grasp the concept of Christmas personally and I’d like to share how.

I thought that I would miss a white Christmas, outdoor Christmas lights, Advent services and familiar English hymns at MPLC, the tree, opening up the Christmas cards as they came, my Mom’s cooking, sitting around in the living room with my family while opening stockings and presents. I thought I’d miss all this, and I did.

Kimberley, South Africa is hot. It’s hot here at Christmas time. There are few Christmas decorations, hymns in Afrikaans, different Christmas meals, different traditions. Many things that are new and different. These were the things running through my mind before Christmas morning. Things that made me think that Christmas here is so different. However, on Christmas morning I was sitting there in church while embracing the many things that were familiar- a packed sanctuary, recognizable melodies, memorized Bible readings, and lots of straight up contentment because of the holiday season. It started to feel like Christmas. Christmas for me this year wasn’t the presents or the tree, and definitely not the snow. Christmas this year were those familiar hymns, the epic verses from the Gospels, the celebration of Christ’s birth, and that silly feeling when you’re just, you know, happy. Those things are present no matter where you are on Christmas. Who can take that away?

While watching the Grinch as he stole Christmas as a kid I was under the impression that without the trees, lights, and presents Christmas wouldn’t be Christmas. But none of this stuff was present on that very first Christmas. No glitter, glam or expensive presents. No tree, lights, reindeer or snow. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not one to think that the non-religious symbols of Christmas (Santa, toys, Will Ferrell as Buddy the Elf) are anything bad. I mean, I still remember the exact details of the conversation that lead to me learning the [SPOILER ALERT] not so true existence of Santa…and the tears that followed. Though I am growing up, these symbols still remind me of the excitement of Christmas and they certainly put me in a good mood, however, I’m learning the importance of recognizing the distinction between these symbols and the real intention of our Christmas celebration. Jesus.

What happened in Bethlehem on Christmas day is like this earth-shattering event that has shaped my entire life. It is my faith and my belief, what helps me through difficult times and what is a part of me as I rejoice in triumphs and success. It is so much more than one day out of the year. Santa goes back to the North Pole and we forget about him for another 11 months, but that ‘little baby Jesus’ (another Will Ferrell reference?) is a year round celebration.

So next year when I’m home will I get rid of the tree, lights and 23 years worth of collected ornaments? No. The joy of giving presents, the excitement of opening them up and the desire for a white Christmas will remain. But there will be an understanding that if these things were lessened or completely taken away Christmas would continue to be complete and we would still be able to embrace all of it’s importance.

8 months ago at the YAGM DIP event I spoke to the others about an accompaniment moment I had while at Shepard’s Field in Israel. The group I was with crossed paths with another tour group from China. Somehow we ended up singing about 9 rounds of Silent Night. A few times in English and a few in Chinese. Who would have thought that 10 months from that moment in Israel I would be in South Africa singing the same song in Afrikaans.

Stille nag, Heilige nag! Alles rus; eensaam wag slegs Maria, geseende vrou, wat vol teerheid haar Kindjie aanskou. Slaap in hemelse rus, slaap in hemelse rus.

I hope that you all had an amazing Christmas. I was thinking about you all. I pray that aside from the presents and Christmas lights you were able to experience that true joy that can only be found through the wonderful gift of Christ’s birth.

…and Wisconsin didn’t have a white Christmas either, which makes me feel a little bit better.

1 comment:

  1. We'll be sure to order snow for Christmas 2012. Thanks for the beautiful reminder of the true reason for the season. Love you - Miss you

    ReplyDelete