Friday, September 16, 2011

I made it to Kimberley!

On September 5th I left Pietermaritzburg with my fellow MUD4 girl, Krista. We traveled by bus to Bloemfontein where she will be living this year. After spending the night there, I traveled another hour and a half to Kimberley. Out the window I saw the flat and dusty environment of my new home. I was excited as we passed the downtown area with shops and the infamous “Nandos” restaurant and on to the more quiet area where I will be living. Kimberley is home to the Cape Orange Diocese office and after visiting the people there, I went to the Dean’s house to spend the night at his home with his family. Finally, on September 7th I was introduced to my host mother, Dinah!

Dinah, as well as her neighbors, have welcomed me with great kindness. As I am starting to get used to a new neighborhood and town, it is nice to know that I have caring people looking out for me. Over the last week Dinah and I have been getting to know each other well and I am having fun getting used to a new house and a new lifestyle.

Over the last week I have been surprised by how many church activities I have already participated in. Over the weekend I was lucky enough to be invited by the Young Adult League to travel and spend the night in Rustenburg, which is a city about 6 hours away. There was a conference for the Young Adult Leagues of the different Diocese around South Africa, as well as Botswana and Swaziland. The Young Adult leagues include people ranging in ages from 25 all the way up to 55 or so. We had an amazing weekend filled with singing and dancing. I also spent an evening with the Youth from my church, St. Sylvesters. We had a good time playing charades and hanging out. My host mother has been very kind by inviting me to experience multiple prayer meetings and various funeral memorials. I think that these activities will be a big part of my time here in Kimberley.

My weekly schedule of volunteering is still being formed. So far I have spent a few days at a center that houses abandoned and orphaned children. It is an amazing place with a mission to create a caring home and ensure education. I have also spoken with the principal of a school for children with disabilities and look forward to future work with them.

For now I’m still letting this new lifestyle sink in. I'm meeting some pretty great people and have enjoyed each and every conversation thus far. I can’t help but explain things and be descriptive these first couple weeks, but I hope that as time goes on I can use this blog to not just give you a picture of where I am, but share with you the life giving experiences and deeper conversations that have already and will be taking place this year.

1 comment:

  1. I'm grateful to know about your host mom. Praying you will be a blessing to each other!

    ReplyDelete