Monday, September 26, 2011

Self-care

During the Chicago orientation in August we had a session and a few discussions about self-care. I found this information extremely important in this time of being thrown into the unfamiliar and unknown. It has been good for me to stay conscious that I am in control of how I treat myself and what attitude I keep, especially since there has been little within my control since being here.

I love to be surrounded by conversation and noise (and have had A LOT of it in the last month) but I’ve realized that having time alone is almost as important for me. One way I have been able to give this time to myself is by popping in the headphones and having a yoga practice in the backyard each day. My house has a cement slab underneath one of the trees, which I have selected as my spot. My host mother is sweet and has taken it upon herself to sweep it for me every other day or so. She is still resisting the daily offer to come join me.

I’ve found this time to be important for both my mental and physical health- not to mention my ‘bird of paradise’ is looking great. It is something that I look forward to each day.

Namaste.

1 comment: