Friday, September 23, 2011

More than one language to learn

I spent my first full day at Re Tlamelang School for children with disabilities, primarily deafness and blindness. I have a feeling that you’ll be hearing many great stories about my time there. I mean- it was amazing. For now I can tell you that I had an incredible day helping out in a classroom with deaf first grade students. They were eager to take turns signing me the spelling of their names and then teaching me their ‘sign name’, which is a single sign made up to identify them. I was wearing my lip ring and within three minutes it became my identifier, my sign name. For the rest of the day I knew I was being talked about in the classroom or out in the school yard because the children would look at me and then hold their pinkie to their lip- very similar to Dr. Evil’s move in Austin Powers. I’ll have to start working on my signing along with my Afrikaans.

Totsiens,









Or in other words-

See ya, Nicki

2 comments: